Sunday, February 06, 2011

What To Write When There Is Nothing To Write

I've been staring at this link for a month with no idea what to say. I don't want this to turn into a personal blog because my life isn't all that interesting--which is why I write in the first place. Still, life has been quite busy lately and I just haven't have the time to write.

I'm making a commitment to get something done this month though, and then March is NaNoEdMo, which I am also committed too. Getting my novel finished and readable is one of my top goals this year. As for my resolutions...well...I am averaging 100 words a day, but I can't say with any certainty that I will have exactly that number. It proved a loftier goal than even I realized. Still, I am hoping that getting back into blogging, writing, and editing will bring me to a better place than last year.

I don't think I have mentioned it here but I have been dreaming about a novel for years. It is titled The Life and Times of a Pseudonym and one of my resolutions last year was to get something started for it, an outline, a chapter, something, ANYTHING. I ended up getting nothing at all done for it, but I wasn't sorry because I did participate in NaNoWriMo and I did succeed so I now know that I can do it. I also know that story outlines aren't for suckers or bad writers, but for smart people who know that "feeling like writing" isn't really a condition one can count on. I moved my goal of getting something done on Pseudonym to this year, and I plan to start working on it in April, after my last novel is finished (can I just add that the phrase "my last novel" makes me giddy with pleasure?). I also want to start planning my next NaNoWriMo project, a mystery that current lacks a title but I think I have a few ideas for it. Still in the very rough, very undecided brainstorming phase. I'm thinking of setting it at a college, and possibly around a theatre program. Obviously the "show is cursed" theme is out, having been done to death, but there are still lots of places I can go. I've been reading up on mysteries, from a fictional and non-fiction point of view, trying to get an idea what I am in for. The result? I know I'm in for a rough road. Still, Necessary Fiction was the fluff, easy piece I was looking for. If I want to be a real writer then it is time to explore the tough world of fiction. Maybe not the impossible world of Fantasy but at least something beyond romance.

With all that said, it is Superbowl Sunday, and I'm ready for some breakfast. Hoping to get some editing done before the big game. NaNoEdMo entails 50 hours of solid editing in the month of March, but realistically my novel needs a lot more love than 50 hours can provide. Time to make this thing readable! ...ish!

No comments: