Wednesday, October 20, 2010

DID THAT JUST HAPPEN?

I want to make this brief, as I don't want to jinx it. I'm working on my novel for NaNoWriMo (pre-writing, creating character profiles, designing a plot, etc. etc.) and so far it's been going really well, no major stumbling blocks *knock on wood*. I think I mentioned this before, by pre-writing is not my strong point, and I have real difficulty with planning and completion. That's why what happened means so much to me.

I was just brainstorming ideas about a character that I have really been struggling with. The main character and her two best friends were easy, by Mr. Right is giving me a long of trouble. I've got a name but that's it...and it's just a first name. Today I decided I would just brainstorm a bunch of different guys and then mix and match til it worked.

Except that I couldn't, because I'm surrounded by plot bunnies. Did you know they can be loud? They can. They are also soft and tickle your feet when you ignore them. So what do I do? I reach down to pet one fluffy bundle and then BAM! It hit me like a truck.

I just plotted my entire novel.

Just. Like. That.

Granted it is VERY rough (as soon as I came to this realization I came here to blog the incredible news rather then work on a second draft) and definitely will need major additions (like sub-plots and details) but it's a framework. A foundation. Something I have never had, in any writing project I have ever completed or dreamed about.

I have felt this feeling just one other time, after saying my vows when I married the man better than my dreams. Is is a feeling of rightness, a feeling of...stability? I don't even know if I can describe it. It is not the feeling that I have all the answers...but the feeling that I don't need them. The feeling that more questions will come, questions I can't even dream of, and some of them will be hard and hurt to answer...but it will be okay. It will be okay because the biggest, most important questions have been answered and, in comparison, there really isn't anything else worth worrying about. It is the feeling that, one way or the other, everything will be okay.

It is AMAZING.

Oh, November 1st, I am SO ready for you!

No comments: