Thursday, October 21, 2010

It's Only Sucking Up If I Say It To The Teacher

This might be the BEST Midterm project I have ever been assigned. I mean, I know the usual idea with projects is personal enrichment or whatever they call it, but let's be honest: when you hear the word "project" you think "headache" "time-suck" or "how-can-I-get-out-of-this?" That goes double for any project involving the word "group." Still, this Midterm project has been an excellent help to me in sticking to a writing schedule, and making sure that I am on track with assignments. I think that, if I were to continue (which I hope to do) it can only help me further, getting my work out there, and helping me to keep my writing muscles finely tuned.

As good as all those things are, they aren't why I think this is the "best" Midterm Project EVER. What I really love about this project has been reading the blogs of my classmates and fellow writers, and really feeling like a part of their journey as well. As fledgling writers, of course we all share similar fears and trepidations. Seeing my classmates lay those bare, the very same worries and fears I have felt since I first hit that "register" button for Creative Writing, has done wonders to improve my self-esteem when it comes to my writing. Naturally I never expected to be the only one who felt the way I felt and thought what I thought...but seeing/reading/hearing that we are all in the same boat has made that fact more tangible, more comforting. I've made a point of commenting and following all of my classmate's blogs that have been posted this far. That isn't part of the assignment, but it is something I want to do. I am in a class with a very talented group of people who have some BRILLIANT ideas. As an avid reader as well as budding author, it is joy to both write my own works and read those of my classmates. Sharing this journey with them has truly been an honor of mine, and I feel like it is important they know that. Also, since their blogs give me the comfort of knowing we are all in this together, commenting seems the easiest and best way to return the favor.

Halfway through the semester and I continue to be happy with my decision to take Creative Writing. As previously mentioned, it was not a decision I took lightly. Still, it has been everything I had hoped it would be, not only because the class is so brilliant, but because I have been making it the priority it deserves. 

Next week our first drafts are due. I am still intimidated, and haven't made much progress since my last posting, but I would like to blame NaNoWriMo for that. I've been very busy using the Storybook program (shareware that I recommend to ANY writer who, like me, has a difficult time getting organized) to get the plot and characters for my novel Necessary Fiction (tentative title) set. I'm really excited for the 1st to come, but if the very rough schedule I have designed is anything close to reality, I now find myself VERY intimidated at the thought of generating 2,000 words a day. That's roughly 4 times as long as this blog. ACK! Ah well, no pain no gain, right? Right.

Let's just hope I don't draw blood! >.<

No comments: