Friday, October 29, 2010

First Draft--Mission Completed!

Staring at the ceiling, it seemed that the entire house had been engulfed in silence, as though the lack of noise were some terrible beast who had flexed its jaw and swallowed the building whole. She’d been awake for almost an hour now but dawn had broken ages ago. Tiny slivers of light strewn across the carpet were the only hint of this, her dark curtains unforgiving in their relentless pursuit to block even the tiniest bit of illumination, giving her a familiar sense of an all-too-early-morning. She knew couldn’t stay in bed all day, but that didn’t mean she didn’t want too.

------

That's the first paragraph of my First Draft! By First Draft, I mean the first in a series of two drafts that I am expected to turn in for my Creative Writing class. The actual submission was the 3rd draft of said story, and I've modified it 3 times since. It was due 6 minutes ago, so I have to live with what is out there. I'm fairly satisfied with it, and I think it will do well.

Meanwhile, I haven't worked on my NaNoWriMo project at ALL. I still have quite a few unanswered questions (although the NaNoWriMo Twitter says that it's okay to let the answers come to me, or accept temporary answers and to stop being so critical!). I also need to look up delicious recipe's for Tucker's restaurant (SPOILER ALERT! WHOOPS!). I've more-or-less decided to title it Necessary Fiction. The title comes from the G.K. Chesterton quote:
Literature is a luxury, fiction is a necessity.
I really like the idea, and it kinda goes along with some of the different subplots and...well, let's not SPOIL anything, lol. I'm really excited to start Monday, I think I've mentioned that a bunch of times but it is still true. My one fear is not being able to keep a regular word-count but my husband Marcus has been enlisted to ensure that my word count gets made BEFORE I'm allowed to do fun extras like watch TV or make cookies (okay I bet I still get away with the second one even when I'm behind on words!). I've told a lot of people about NaNoWriMo, so failing to at least do something substantial could result in epic embarrassment. I'm willing to use ANY kind of encouragement to see me through to 50,000 words. Being a writer has always been a dream of mine, and my goal for this year was to stop putting things off. NaNoWriMo might just fulfill that resolution by itself. I can't wait!

No comments: